Register

Galaxy Nexus not recognised as MTP Media Device

This is a discussion on Galaxy Nexus not recognised as MTP Media Device within the Galaxy Nexus General Discussion forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Forum category; Hi guys, I wonder if anyone can help with this problem? I have the new nexus and found it to be pretty awesome - for ...

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Hooch
  • 1 Post By wicked

Thread: Galaxy Nexus not recognised as MTP Media Device

Member #

Galaxy Nexus not recognised as MTP Media Device

Hi guys,

I wonder if anyone can help with this problem?
    I have the new nexus and found it to be pretty awesome - for those of you who don't have it yet - hold on it really is worth it...

Anyway, I'm having trouble hooking it up to my PC which is running XP.
    When I chose to connect as either "Media Device MTP" or "Camera PTP" (these are the only 2 options btw - no mass storage for those of you who didn't know) I get an error message on the taskbar of my PC:

"USB device Not Recognised. One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned , and Windos does not recognise it. For assistance in solving this problem, click this message."

I click the message and get taken to the list of USB devices with one in bold stating "Unknown device", I click on it and try to update the drivers etc but PC is unable to instal newer drivers. I think I've narrowed this down to an MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) driver not being installed on the PC, so have installed Windows media player 11, Kies, Samsung PC Studio 7, tried searching the net for drivers, even tried installing the Galaxy S2 drivers and none of them work.

Does anyone know what else I may be able to try, or can someone tell me where I could get the correct driver as this is starting to drive me nuts...

PS. I have hooked up the Nexus to my work PC (running Vista) and was recognised withing seconds, so is not a faulty phone

Thanks in advaance for you help!!

2. # ADS
    Ads

Vega
    Member #
    Liked
    43 times
    Window's 7?

Just kidding. If you can search the microsoft database and find a driver you should have the option to manually install it. Also, I briefly looked on the samsung site. If you enter the phone's model number there may be SOME tech info there, or at least an idea of what driver may work. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in shortly...
    techRob likes this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Window's 7?

Just kidding. If you can search the microsoft database and find a driver you should have the option to manually install it. Also, I briefly looked on the samsung site. If you enter the phone's model number there may be SOME tech info there, or at least an idea of what driver may work. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in shortly...
    Thanks Hooch,
    The Samsung site only has the PDF of the user manual. I have tried the Microsoft site too, it just seems like there is no driver there in the first place to update? and cannot find one listed that specifically for Nexus

Windows 7

Vega
    Member #
    Liked
    43 times
    Not sure beyond that. There may not be a specific driver for the phone. I can't remember the last time I force installed a driver or looked for one...Win 7 does it for me..I haven't touched an XP machine in so long...hopefully someone comes along shortly with an answer.

Good luck, let us know if you figure it out elsewhere in case someone else has the same problem!

BTW, welcome to the forum!

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    358 times
    Twitter
    wwickedd
    Yeah, XP is the culprit... I have an old desktop running XP that I retired early this year and it always had driver issues.

Currently I have 2 machines running Win 7 and never run into driver issues when plugging in new devices.

Welcome to the forum!
    techRob likes this.

Member #
    Cheers guys,

I was really hopeul that wouldn't be the case, but the more I've been looking into this the more find XP is the problem.
    As cool as Wireless File transfer apps are I find they're a little laborious having to transfer individual files...

If anyone has an answer or suggestion please feel free to post on here! I'll keep you updated if anything works!

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    I gotta throw my suggestion in: Windows 7 FTW. Not to give you a hard time, but that was my initial thought when you said it had problems recognizing it - when it comes to XP, you *almost* always need a driver for devices that you connect to it. Win7 is pretty good about having what it needs built in - or a close enough clone.

I would recommend searching the Samsung forums to see if anyone has information for a driver for Windows XP - but since it's technically not "usb transfer" I'm not sure. Yea, do a search on there for "galaxy nexus mtp windows xp driver" ... food for thought
    "Never look where you are going. Look where you want to go."
    "Do, or do not. There is no try."

Ads