Register

I GIVE UP!!! -Switched to an iPhone 4s

This is a discussion on I GIVE UP!!! -Switched to an iPhone 4s within the Galaxy Nexus General Discussion forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Forum category; Hi All, I have been actively participating on this forum since December when I switched from AT&T to Verizon so I could get a Galaxy ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: I GIVE UP!!! -Switched to an iPhone 4s

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times

I GIVE UP!!! -Switched to an iPhone 4s

Hi All,

I have been actively participating on this forum since December when I switched from AT&T to Verizon so I could get a Galaxy Nexus. My experience with the Nexus has been one of the single most frustrating experiences with technology I have ever had. My experience is with the stock, unrooted GN.

I have been through four (4) handsets:
    • Handset 1 (version EK01) > Literally unusable reception. Would not connect to anything but a headset via Bluetooth. Could not transfer fies via USB without freezing.
    • Handset 2 (version EK01) > Could connect via Bluetooth. Otherwise, same problems as Handset 1. VZW had me try a new SIM card and then tech support advised me to replace hardware when that failed to resolve total lack of reception.
    • Handset 3 (version EK05) > Better recepetion than EK01 versions, but weak and inconsistent. No issues with BT or USB file transfers. Occasional random reboots. Dropped data on 3G and 4G throughout the day, even when in a fixed location (like my bedroom side table for 6 hours overnight). While performing a factory reset, entered an endless boot-loop and got so hot that I ended up pulling the battery so that it would not eventually melt the plastic and/or catch on fire. End result: phone was a brick.
    • Handset 4 (version EK05) > Slightly worse reception than Handset 3. All other issues identical to Handset 3. Did not turn into a brick...still works.
    I got to my 4th handset, and experienced all of these problems long before my January 16th return date came and went. I voiced my concerns to VZW and they assured me that "these will be fixed through an update" but they of course could not tell me when that update would ever be pushed to the phone. I said I was worried about the fact that they were going to keep my very real money, and take more of it each month, while in exchange for that, I had only their promise that my issues would be resolved at an undetermined future date. First the update was supposed to be out at the end of January. Then in the 2nd week of February. Then 4.0.4 actually did get released to a select few users, but not to me (or anyone else that I could identify). February rolled on and still no update. In reality, there is no way to tell when this update will ever be pushed to the GN, or that when it finally is, whether this will improve reception to a reliable/usable level. I got tired of waiting.

Then there is the BS with the accessories, like docks etc. A main reason I selected the GN was because of the companion docks etc. that Samsung advertised would be available. I had a pre-order in for two of them back in December and the ETA from the supplier was listed as "on or before 12/26". That soon changed to 1/15. Then it changed to "No ETA". When I called the supplier, I asked them what caused the date to change, and they informed me that basically all ETA dates shown by any supplier are just made up by that supplier. The "official" date provided to all suppliers by Samsung is something like 12/21/2021, which means there is no scheduled release date. Again, waiting and waiting for something that was promised but that may never come out, or won't be available for months.

Then there are the issues with the OS. I love the look and feel, but there is no getting around the fact that it just isn't stable, and has some MAJOR bugs in it. For example, when you first sync with Exchange, it only will pull down calendar events for the randomly-selected lookback of 3 weeks. But it keeps ALL your events going forward. Also, if you happen to use Exchange 2010 Server, every single one of the events it pulls down from the server will show up as a "meeting invitation" whether or not is actually is one, which means you can't modify the event on the GN. On the other hand, any new event you create after syncing shows up correctly. Of course you can't pick what color is shows up as...this is selected for you at random courtesy of the Android OS and it can't be changed unless you delete and re-create the account at which point you get a new randomly-selected color.

You also can't touch tone dial using speakerphone unless you first remember to turn down the volume, otherwise the GN speaker picks up its own tones and the service on the other end (such as VZW voicemail) doesn't recognize the mandatory password and you can't get your voicemail. You also have to remember to do special things like hit the home button before you put the GN to your ear, or remember to put the top part up to your head while holding it out at a 45 degree angle, or the screen won't de-activate, and you will end your call and/or hit keys with your face. And the flash on the camera is WAY too powerful, and can't be adjusted, so it gives everyone these glowing demon eyes.

I can't use the GN as a tool to accomplish my work, which is what I need a phone for. I gave up last Friday and switched to an iPhone 4s. It is missing a few things I really liked on the GN, but it does everything that is critical perfectly, consistently, and reliably. The data isn't as fast, but it ALWAYS WORKS, and I always have reception that I can use. The battery life is off the charts. In places where my GN had no signal at all, even on 3G (ALOT of places), the iPhone has a solid 3 bars of signal and is totally usable, wherease the GN was non-functional. Also, having spent nearly a week with the iPhone 4s, I have learned that many of the features I enjoyed the most in ICS appear to have already been present in iOS 5. Most imporantly, I have a whole layer of mild stress and uncertainty removed from my already stressful life. Instead of thinking about my phone constantly throughout the day, wondering whether it will perform when I need it to, when VZW is ever going to release a supposed update, or if I will ever be able to get the accessories I wanted to get, I simply have a tool that works.

I had to pay full retail for the iPhone, which sucks. On the other hand, VZW sent me a Motorola Droid RAZR to replace my GN, so now I have something I can sell for a decent amount to offset the loss. There was no way I would risk selling my GN on Ebay as I can only imagine my buyer coming back and giving me grief when they experienced all of the headaches that I did.

In any case, I have really enjoyed participating in these forums. There is a great community of users here, and while I was dealing with the disaster of my GN(s), it was always great to have a place to come to in order to get questiojns answered and share infomation. I really hope that VZW/Google/Samsung can do something to "fix" the GN for everyone who sticks with it. You all paid alot for a top-of-the-line handset, and you deserve to have it perform as advertised.
    Last edited by JG_in_SB; 03-01-2012 at 11:45 AM.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    150 times
    Twitter
    _B0BB0_
    Oh no!! The dark side!! Jk we have you and your iPhone covered here Register at iPhone Forum Thanks for hanging wth us !

Theme Developer
    GalaxyNexusForum.com Theme Developer

Member #
    Liked
    58 times
    Good luck JB! Sad to see you go but I completely understand based on your issues.

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    The DARK SIDE I know The irony is that I have been a major anti-Apple guy for years, and my experience with the GN caused me to end up with an IPHONE

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    150 times
    Twitter
    _B0BB0_
    Ya I hear ya. I'm on my second gnex as my first one had horrible signal/data issues. So far my second one has been a champ!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    89 times
    I'll catch you over on the iPhone forums. Good luck.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    655 times
    Twitter
    smalltownlife13
    Good luck with the iPhone!!

Sorry to see the issues but you have to be happy in long run...

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1624 times
    Good luck... you gave it a good go ..sometimes its not meant to be...good luck with the iPhone and pop in say hello..

Sent from my flashaholic Nexus..
    thru tapatalk....
    Guidelines of Conduct for GalaxyNexusForum.com
    "Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm"

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1124 times
    Good luck with your iPhone....see you back soon
    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Red Tapatalk

Andromeda
    Member #