Register

Warranty Fixing New GN VS. Keeping VZW Refurbished Phone

This is a discussion on Warranty Fixing New GN VS. Keeping VZW Refurbished Phone within the Galaxy Nexus General Discussion forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Forum category; Hi guys, I was wondering what you guys would do... I purchased my GN a month ago and i went through three phones so far... ...

Milky Way
    Member #

Warranty Fixing New GN VS. Keeping VZW Refurbished Phone

Hi guys,

I was wondering what you guys would do...

I purchased my GN a month ago and i went through three phones so far... Had so many issues....

First GN: Smt was loose and kept making werid sounds (hardware issue) everytime the phone vibrated so i returned it (noticed <4 hours after use, my first vibration call...)

Second GN: Random reboots annoying... (started during the 3rd day of use)

Third GN: Does not boot... Stuck in loop..... ( ~ 3 weeks after use?)

These were all new out from the box. I complained to vzw but all they could do was to give me a refurb since now it is over that stupid 2 week period........FML.... So i contacted Samsung and they said the best they can do is warranty repair the third GN (non-booting one).

Would you guys warranty repair the new (out from the box) GN or receive the refurb GN verizon has sent.

I understand that in the end the new one would pretty much go through the inspection process like all other refurb phones but i guess i dont really know since i dont work for such area.... Just want to hear your opinion.

Btw do you guys know when the new software update is coming out officially?
    Last edited by chimi0815; 02-27-2012 at 08:46 AM.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Aquarius
    Member #
    Liked
    507 times
    Welcome to the Forum,

Personally I would accept the refurb, you'll get a replacement faster than if you send your phone to Samsung, and based on my experience with the refurbs on my DroidX (took 4 to get a good one), once you get a good phone you won't notice any difference.
    But do be picky about the quality of the refurb. Don't accept anything less than perfect.

Since you're on VZW the phone should come with 4.0.2 and as far as any OTA update to that, your guess is as good as any other.

All the Custom ROMS available are based on 4.0.3 source Google released and seem to solve most of the issues people on 4.0.2 are experiencing.

Good luck and keep us posted on your results.
    Last edited by cynkrzy; 02-27-2012 at 08:44 AM. Reason: grammar, oops

Milky Way
    Member #
    Hey thanks for the reply,

I already received my refurb and VZW told me i can return in whenever as long as they get it at somepoint. But technically i do need to send it within the 5 days... Anyways i contacted Samsung and they said they can expedite the shipping process a bit but who knows how long it will take.

At this point im going to fix the one stuck in loop and use the refurb one as my temporary.

But the weird thing is i noticed some differences bewteen the refurb and my original one. Mine did not have hotspot option in the settings but the refurb one does and it just says to subscribe if you want the service. When i first made a phone call with the refurb one, ear lobe area got real hot... but it didnt get hot after that but its only been a day since i activated it...

I will see how the fix goes and let you know what i will go through... haha

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Quote Originally Posted by chimi0815 View Post
    Hey thanks for the reply,

I already received my refurb and VZW told me i can return in whenever as long as they get it at somepoint. But technically i do need to send it within the 5 days... Anyways i contacted Samsung and they said they can expedite the shipping process a bit but who knows how long it will take.

At this point im going to fix the one stuck in loop and use the refurb one as my temporary.
    I think that is a bad idea. Who told you can return your old phone "Whenever"? Did you get that in writing? That is total BS in my opinion. If you send your phone off to Samsung I guarantee you won't get it back in a week and I'll bet Verizon charges you for non return on day 6. I'd keep the refurbished (if it works) and return your defective phone to Verizon. Just my opinion.

Remove Ads

Ads