Register

Tapjoy - Unwanted ad/content

This is a discussion on Tapjoy - Unwanted ad/content within the Galaxy Nexus General Discussion forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Forum category; Anyone notice a Tapjoy folder being created on your GN without your knowledge? I noticed this over the weekend, as the images appeared in my ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cynkrzy

Thread: Tapjoy - Unwanted ad/content

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Question Tapjoy - Unwanted ad/content

Anyone notice a Tapjoy folder being created on your GN without your knowledge? I noticed this over the weekend, as the images appeared in my gallery. I researched a bit, and found they are a legit advertising company. However, this doesn't sway me from wanting to prevent them from placing pics/videos or whatever junk on my phone. I can't even find which app I installed that put the stuff on there. Anyone have any advice? Should I be worried about getting it off my phone?

Side note: The Tapjoy website has a 'opt-out' option... but I am suspicious. I also found an interesting post over on AndroidCentral:
    People defending TapJoy, read their privacy policy. They're not innocent.
    If you opt out, and then later visit one of their sites, then they can still track you. You just opt out of getting notified.

There's several reasons why Apple is constantly trying to ban them from their App Store.

I only hope that Google follows suit soon.

If it smells like a virus, acts like a virus, and pisses you off as much as a virus.....

Is tapjoy a virus? - Page 2 - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

2. # ADS
    Ads

Aquarius
    Member #
    Liked
    507 times
    They have some games listed in the Market, did you install one by chance ?

https://market.android.com/developer?pub=Tapjoy

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I don't think so. That's the first place I looked. I have recently installed 3 apps... but can't find anything in them about Tapjoy. Another reason I'm kinda concerned about it... I can't find anything referencing this company, it's software, or the images... anywhere on my phone outside of the image folder than just appeared.

Kellermeister - Wine & Rating (which required a specific Barcode Scanner) and Cartoon Wars.

Aquarius
    Member #
    Liked
    507 times
    Here's a link to the company website:
    https://www.tapjoy.com/androidfund

It appears they're recruiting developers of games by providing $$ in exchange for hosting ads.

There are a number of good Ad Blockers available in the market, I prefer the ones that update the "Hosts" file to block the URLs of Ad Content Providers.
    Jackseric likes this.

Milky Way
    Member #
    Hi Jack,

My name is Saad and I work for Tapjoy. Let me aplogise for any inconvenience this issue has brought to you. Let me try and explain what happened. The reason you see the items is because you must have taken a offer from a Tapjoy Marketplace integrated into one of your games. Also it looks like the app you used is running on a old SDK, because the new Tapjoy SDK resolved this issue of images. I am afraid Tapjoy cannot force App developers to update their SDK, but are working to get everyone updated.

I can help you, opt out means you can still use your app but will not get any Tapjoy offers. Please email me at skhan@tapjoy.com if you have any further question or if I can help out in anyway.

Regards

Saad

Remove Ads

Ads