Register

reboot loop or safe mode

This is a discussion on reboot loop or safe mode within the Galaxy Nexus General Discussion forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Forum category; Hi all, I have had my GN for two months, stock standard from MobiCity, GSM unrooted, 4.02, Baseband Vers i9250XXKK6, Kernal Vers 3.0.8-gaaa2611. I doubt ...

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bhfd64

Thread: reboot loop or safe mode

Milky Way
    Member #

reboot loop or safe mode

Hi all,

I have had my GN for two months, stock standard from MobiCity, GSM unrooted, 4.02, Baseband Vers i9250XXKK6, Kernal Vers 3.0.8-gaaa2611. I doubt I am an "on the edge" user, but I do have a number of apps installed, all from the Market or GetJar.

A few days ago at 7am Sydney time it started, apparently by itself, a reboot loop cycle, and continued doing so even after being interrupted with battery removal. After each reboot it shows the normal screen for a couple of seconds then shows the sync icon in the notification area in the top left of the screen (sometimes also shows the Light Flow icon there) and then a couple of seconds later it reboots.

By holding the Vol- button during the reboot I am able to end in Safe Mode which allows core phone and some app functionality.

I have tested the reboot issue with local wifi available and not available - as per a thread I saw elsewhere.

When in safe mode if I go to Settings | Personal | Account and Sync the sole google account shows a Sync problem - when I drill down it is only the Sync com.google.android.app... that shows an error (with the text "Sync is currently experiencing problems. It should be back shortly." showing at the bottom of the screen). Unchecking this particular sync line returns the google account sync icon to healthy green status. But venturing out of safe mode still ends up in a reboot loop.

I have read

Galaxy Nexus Boot Loop : not rooted

w
    hich suggests the reboot loop can be fixed by resetting the phone to factory conditions (though the problem still recurs for some), but there is no mention here of Safe Mode so my problem may be different. Of course I would like to avoid losing 2 months of configuration/tailoring if I can. And also would like to identify what the cause is so as to avoid it in future.

Anyone have any ideas that might help?

David
    Last edited by austega; 02-08-2012 at 09:38 PM.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    327 times
    You could try removing any apps that you installed around the time of the error but I'd say in all likelihood you'll have to do a reset to get it straightened out. This type of reset will also format your internal storage so you might copy it's contents to a PC beforehand so you can move them back after.

Tapped via Galaxy Nexus LTE..
    -Stephen
    Need Help? Don't panic (yet) Call the Rescue Squad!

"On Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs"

Milky Way
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bhfd64 View Post
    You could try removing any apps that you installed around the time of the error but I'd say in all likelihood you'll have to do a reset to get it straightened out. This type of reset will also format your internal storage so you might copy it's contents to a PC beforehand so you can move them back after. .
    Thanks Stephen. Excuse the dumb question but what kind of content can I safely just move back and forth from and to the phone - are you just talking data like music, etc or does this work also for any of the settings or even apps...

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    327 times
    Just what you see on the internal storage when you plug the phone into a PC. A lot of apps have built in backup/restore features for Settings and data within the app. You could open your favorite apps and press the Menu button, then look around and see if it has such a feature. That backup file would save to your internal storage and then you could copy it to your PC. Move it back later and restore it.

Tapped via Galaxy Nexus LTE..
    austega likes this.
    -Stephen
    Need Help? Don't panic (yet) Call the Rescue Squad!

"On Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs"

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Mine just started doing the same thing today. Haven't fixed it yet luckily I had another new nexus to swap my sim into till I do

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Milky Way
    Member #
    I reset the device in the end and the problem has not recurred. Not sure what caused or triggered it. This was my first Android device and I was very pleasantly surprised at how easy the rebuild was given that all/most of my apps and preferences were linked to my google acct.

Ads