Register

Live Wallpapers create lag!

This is a discussion on Live Wallpapers create lag! within the Galaxy Nexus General Discussion forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Forum category; Hey Everyone, I was just wondering if anyone else is having the same issues as I am. Whenever I set a live wallpaper, other than ...

Milky Way
    Member #

Angry Live Wallpapers create lag!

Hey Everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone else is having the same issues as I am. Whenever I set a live wallpaper, other than Phase Beam, it starts to lag and the animations get all choppy. IMO, what the hell is the point of having these cool backgrounds, when the phone cant even handle them!!?? I think this is ridiculous given the phone is supposed to be very powerful.

P.S. I did read a SINGLE post about this and someone saying that updates are supposed to solve this issue, but as some may know, I am with Bell Canada, and still running 4.0.1.

TIA

2. # ADS
    Ads

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    They're fun to look at, but overall waste battery and take up performance. I did hear only maybe 2 of the provided live wallpapers were optimized for ICS while the others are from past versions, so that could be a reason for the lag.

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dezymond View Post
    They're fun to look at, but overall waste battery and take up performance. I did hear only maybe 2 of the provided live wallpapers were optimized for ICS while the others are from past versions, so that could be a reason for the lag.
    ^ This.

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Install Nova launcher, go into nova settings, and change wallpaper scrolling to off, for me it made lag with live wallpapers basically non existent

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    The ones written in OpenGL are blazing fast. The ones written in 2D Android *might* be pretty chuggy depending on if the particular functions they are using happen to be HW accelerated in ICS yet. Remember this phone has 4x the pixels to draw as previous generation phones, so if the code is calling software rendering functions they will all get executed on the CPU instead of the GPU and may be very slow.

I dont know why the developers dont use OpenGL, I wrote an OpenGL screensaver in a couple weekends of spare time, but then again I learned OpenGL in the mid-90s, so its like a 2nd language to me.The only reason it took so long was learning about how Android handles resources like texture and shader files.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    No lag here. However, i did have live wallpaper lag when i had a million downloadded apps from the market that didnt play well with ics. (most dont)

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    538 times
    Twitter
    fish1552
    Quote Originally Posted by DancesWithFarts View Post
    No lag here. However, i did have live wallpaper lag when i had a million downloadded apps from the market that didnt play well with ics. (most dont)
    Well there was your problem. Since the Android market only has about 450k apps, it was the 550k iTunes & BB apps you have on it that were giving you fits.

Remove Ads

Ads