Register

What do the gray bars actually mean?

This is a discussion on What do the gray bars actually mean? within the Galaxy Nexus General Discussion forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Forum category; Forgive the dumb question. I frequently have all-gray bars in the notification bar (with either the network or wi-fi icons); occasionally I get a "no ...

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By d1L777

Thread: What do the gray bars actually mean?

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times

What do the gray bars actually mean?

Forgive the dumb question.

I frequently have all-gray bars in the notification bar (with either the network or wi-fi icons); occasionally I get a "no signal" alert, but 90+% of the time I can make a call (and if I dial a number or fire up the browser, I get some blue bars back).

What *exactly* do the gray bars mean? Sometimes I see a gray "3G" as well. I don't live in a 4G area so can't comment on it yet.

I hardly ever saw this on the OG Droid, and when I did, it meant 1x or (really) minimal or no signal.

Thanks!

Galaxy Nexus: Beanstalk 4.4 (KitKat)
    Nexus 7 and 10 tablets - stock rooted
    OG Droid: CyanogenMod 7.1.0 (2.3.7) with Chevy's 1.1GHz uLV kernel, BP7X battery
    Nook Color: CyanogenMod 7.1.0, 1.2GHz kernel
    Computers all running Linux

2. # ADS
    Ads

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    I think it's an indicator for whether or not your Google account is syncing.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    242 times
    Twitter
    d1l777
    Greyed out signal bars and 3g/4g icons mean that you aren't connected to Google's servers yet. You can normally still get data on a webpage or something with them grey and they should turn blue fairly soon. Greyed out wifi bars means you aren't fully connected to your network yet. you are connected to the router but it's not to the internet yet. If it stays grey there could be a problem with your network

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Mujibar likes this.

PM with any Questions
    GTalk available upon Request

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Got it....thanks. As I said, I can usually get out when they're gray, and they often turn blue right after I fire up the browser or make a call. On wi-fi at home, they don't stay gray for long; usually as it's grabbing an IP address or pinging Google's server, or some such.

Galaxy Nexus: Beanstalk 4.4 (KitKat)
    Nexus 7 and 10 tablets - stock rooted
    OG Droid: CyanogenMod 7.1.0 (2.3.7) with Chevy's 1.1GHz uLV kernel, BP7X battery
    Nook Color: CyanogenMod 7.1.0, 1.2GHz kernel
    Computers all running Linux

Spotlight Member
    Member #
    Liked
    75 times
    Quote Originally Posted by d1L777 View Post
    Greyed out signal bars and 3g/4g icons mean that you aren't connected to Google's servers yet. You can normally still get data on a webpage or something with them grey and they should turn blue fairly soon. Greyed out wifi bars means you aren't fully connected to your network yet. you are connected to the router but it's not to the internet yet. If it stays grey there could be a problem with your network

Well Done - excellent explanation!

Cheers!

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Well, that may be an excellent explanation of what is happening, but it doesn't tell me what to DO about this. A quick Google search reveals widespread instances of this phenomenon... With no apparent solution. Most uncool

Andromeda
    Member #
    I use Go launcher and I hid an application in the app drawer. Problem is I can't figure out how to find it now. I want to uninstall it but it's hidden pretty good. Any ideas?

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bobthebob View Post
    Well, that may be an excellent explanation of what is happening, but it doesn't tell me what to DO about this. A quick Google search reveals widespread instances of this phenomenon... With no apparent solution. Most uncool
    I just recently saw it reported that opening the Google Talk app and allowing it to sign in would resolve it. I haven't been able to test yet, but it's worth a try.

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    so theres no difference between blue and grey reception bars except that blue ones indicate that you are connected to (and there can sync to) google apps?????

Ads