Register

Battery life is much worse than usual. Battery issue or phone issue?

This is a discussion on Battery life is much worse than usual. Battery issue or phone issue? within the Galaxy Nexus General Discussion forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Forum category; Well, I replaced my phone because of the purple tint issue , but since then my battery life has been terrible. In use, I lose ...

Milky Way
    Member #

Battery life is much worse than usual. Battery issue or phone issue?

Well, I replaced my phone because of the purple tint issue, but since then my battery life has been terrible. In use, I lose 1% every 2-3 minutes, and that's on Wi-Fi with the lowest brightness doing some light web browsing. Overnight, it dies. I checked with CPUSpy and the phone is definitely entering deep sleep, so that's not an issue. However, it will go from over 90% to dead in a matter of 8 hours in sleep, no matter what.

This seems wrong, because I'm pretty sure I remember only losing about 5% before. I was on AXI0M with Apex kernel and have switched to AOKP with Franco's kernel since getting my replacement, but if the phone is entering sleep mode, I don't see how that would make such a huge difference.

Could this be a problem with my battery? Or perhaps with my phone? I'd hate to have to replace it again, but this seems crazy.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    979 times
    Something isn't right. If you made a nandroid backup of the last rom you had working well then I would revert back to that. Seems highly unlikely that your battery would be defective already. I would flash something else without any changes to voltage settings. This should give you some sort of a baseline to go by.

Before you flash anything can you get back to stock? How to get back to stock using Odin

Have you backed up your files and pictures? I see too many desperate cries for help recovering deleted priceless pictures with no solution.

Need to hard reset? How to Hard Reset-Factory Data Reset.

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    could be battery, swap it out first IMO, then exchange the phone to be sure
    STOCK GN, updated and naked

Milky Way
    Member #
    Well, the only time I experienced good battery life was on my previous phone on AXI0M. Since getting the new one I've gone from Codename Android and now to AOKP. Again though, how does it go from dropping 5% during 8 hours of sleep mode to dropping over 90%? That seems pretty drastic to be a simple ROM issue.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    979 times
    IMO you should try going back to Axiom and see how that goes. If it doesn't work then you will pretty much know for sure that it's a hardware issue.

Before you flash anything can you get back to stock? How to get back to stock using Odin

Have you backed up your files and pictures? I see too many desperate cries for help recovering deleted priceless pictures with no solution.

Milky Way
    Member #
    Yeah, I'm letting my battery charge up and then I'm going to flash that and give it a try.

If that does turn out to be the cause, how is it that everyone else can use those ROMs without a problem? Would that just mean I'll be unable to flash anything in the future without going through this test process because my phone can't seem to handle anything?

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    979 times
    Not necessarily true. If Axiom works well then I would tend to think that you had a bad flash or download. Trust me it happens.

Milky Way
    Member #
    Actually, I think I figured out what it is.

My 'Mobile network signal' seems to be dropping out overnight, and I guess it was trying to search for a signal for hours, which killed the battery. You can see what I mean in the attached pictures.

Screenshot_2012-01-15-17-00-07.jpgScreenshot_2012-01-15-17-00-29.jpgScreenshot_2012-01-15-17-54-34.jpg

I flashed the leaked radios and dialed *22899. Hopefully that does something, but if not does that mean it's time to exchange the phone again?
    Last edited by AFX; 01-15-2012 at 08:35 PM.

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AFX View Post
    Actually, I think I figured out what it is.

My 'Mobile network signal' seems to be dropping out overnight, and I guess it was trying to search for a signal for hours, which killed the battery. You can see what I mean in the attached pictures.

Screenshot_2012-01-15-17-00-07.jpgScreenshot_2012-01-15-17-00-29.jpgScreenshot_2012-01-15-17-54-34.jpg

I flashed the leaked radios and dialed *22899. Hopefully that does something, but if not does that mean it's time to exchange the phone again?
    judging by your screen shots it looks like maybe verizon was doing maintenance on there towers or something. If your phone is struggling to get and keep a signal it can run the battery down faster. But also if you look at the battery decline is appears to be the same drainage from when you have signal to when you lost it. I would still go back to Axiom with a wipe and see if that fixes it and if it does maybe you had a bad flash or bad download. Over night with no activity the phone should drop no more than 5-10% normaly.
    Last edited by tx3kgtman; 01-16-2012 at 09:26 AM.

Milky Way
    Member #
    Well, I don't think it was maintenance because it happened 4 nights in a row, and it couldn't be a bad download/bad flash because I downloaded/wiped/flashed three separate ROMs on three separate occasions and my battery was still being drained completely overnight.

I flashed AXI0M and my battery life is much better and my signal didn't drop out at all, but I'm still losing about 40% during 8 hours of the phone sleeping, which still seems very high. Looking at my battery usage, nothing seems out of the ordinary. I just can't figure it out.

Remove Ads

Ads