Register

Phone protection Insurance

This is a discussion on Phone protection Insurance within the Galaxy Nexus General Discussion forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Forum category; I still haven't decided which insurance to get for my Gnex. Which one do you guys have or recommend. I am looking for insurance against ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Phone protection Insurance

Cassiopeia
    Member #

Phone protection Insurance

I still haven't decided which insurance to get for my Gnex. Which one do you guys have or recommend. I am looking for insurance against loss, theft and damage.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Ads

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    http://squaretrade.extole.com/a/clk/415ZF

Square trade is awesome. I insure all my family's devices. Check out their reviews. Most comprehensive coverage, lowest deductible and Customer Service rocks!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1736 times
    How does Square Trade compare to BB Black Tie? Even though I didn't buy the phone from them, BB Mobile told me I could buy the Black Tie coverage within two weeks of purchasing the phone (which will be this coming Saturday).

Tapatalk'd

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    I'm unfamiliar with Black Tie. Here's what sold me on Squaretrade, and maybe you can illuminate us about Black Tie? Is it available to people who didn't buy their phones through Best Buy?

Squaretrade covers issues like corrosion of battery casing, broken circuit board connections, display cable connection problems, worn down charger ports with 100% parts and labor, no deductible. If the item can't be fixed, they give you the full item cost.

They offer accidental damage and handling insurance for protection in the event of drops and spills. It doesn't con WILLFUL destruction of your device. The deductible in this case is $50 which is the cheapest I've seen. I think the only thing that isn't covered is theft. The other insurance options I found didn't cover theft either, nor did they cover accidental damage.

I've been with them since my OG Droid, IIRC. There's always a way to get a promotional price and they will even provide coverage to things you bought that are used although I think those plans a cheaper and don't cover as much.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1736 times
    Thanks for that! I honestly don't know much about Black Tie. Just what the BB Mobile guys told me, which is that there's a lower deductible than Assurion (Verizon's insurance provider) and that there are unlimited claims (versus Assurion's two claim limit). I have not verified whether what they told me is accurate.

I don't believe that Black Tie is generally available for phones that weren't purchased through BB. I think they were telling me about the two week window in order to get the sale.

At this point, I'm trying to figure out which plan to go with. Having read about some people's experiences with BB, I'm leaning towards Square Trade.

Tapatalk'd

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    You have thirty days from purchase to get a Squaretrade warranty. Actually, you can buy them ahead of time to catch a promotion and they will start your timer on your receipt date.

Also, you can email it FAX a copy of your receipt and they'll hold it on file to expedite your claims.

Do a lot of homework and research them. I think you'll find them solid, but it's always best to keep testing competitors to keep a company honest!

If any of you go this route hit my link! I think you get their best promotion and I get 5 bux or something like that. If you guys want I can post a screenie of my account that lists my devices to show I'm not just blowing steam.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1736 times
    Thanks for the info, grapthar! No need for proof of your account, but it's appreciated.

Tapatalk'd

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1124 times
    Mine in through Verizon..I pay monthly

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    grapthar, I'm seriously considering switching from Asurion to this but I have some questions.
    1. you mention a $50 deductible, but on the website it says:
    "Deductible: A $99 Deductible applies to all claims."
    2. how much is a Galaxy Nexus retail? Their website says:
    "Coverage up to $600"
    3. how long do they take for a replacement? I know Asurion is usually 1-2 days

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    The deductible thing confused me, too. Call them directly and ask. I was confused by my other warranties:

iPad 2: no deductible
    iPhone 4: $50 (I have two and they're both the same)
    GNex: $99.99 :-(

I guess I wasn't paying attention. I just called and they told me it was a recent change. My old Bionic bought on release day only had a $50 deductible...

They cover your device. The dollar cap is a payout if they can't replace it which is unlikely for a new device but quite likely when it gets older. I've never had experience with the cash pay nor the device repair / replacement, but a friend has. She shipped the device in and had it back in two business days, which seems about right.

Now that's just one anecdote. My trust in them came from year after year of press and awards. I guess I'm a little miffed my deductible is a worse deal than my family's iPhones but I can understand. It's a numbers game. More iPhones makes it cheaper to insure and service.

Last edited by grapthar; 01-09-2012 at 03:49 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads