Register

Transferring my OG call and sms logs to a new GN

This is a discussion on Transferring my OG call and sms logs to a new GN within the Galaxy Nexus General Discussion forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Forum category; I'm about to retire my OG Droid tomorrow, and though I (think I) have everything covered as far as transferring stuff from my OG to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Transferring my OG call and sms logs to a new GN

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times

Question Transferring my OG call and sms logs to a new GN

I'm about to retire my OG Droid tomorrow, and though I (think I) have everything covered as far as transferring stuff from my OG to the new Nexus (CDMA), and rooting, and the rest, I'm just not sure what's the best way to transfer my extensive call log and sms log. I have nandroid and Titanium backups on my (SS rom'ed) OG, and everything synced on Google, and even complete backups of my OG SD Card. But I seem to remember always having problems restoring my call and sms logs when I was changing ROMs, and that was without changing phone manufacturers.

I'm sure a huge number of you have already upgraded from your OG to the GN, any tips on the best way to transfer my call and sms logs to the GN?

Thanks!

Billy

ps Anything I should look out for in the Verizon store, and on the GN itself, tomorrow when I pick it up? I have a $50 new every two (or whatever it was called) in my account, and the unlimited data plan grandfathered in, are there any other deals I should know about? Can I keep my grandfathered unlimited data plan if I want to also add a tethering plan? (Yes, I know I can probably tether without Verizon getting wise, but that's a different story).
    Last edited by tvBilly; 01-01-2012 at 10:04 PM.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    60 times
    Hello Billy, thanks for stopping by.

For call log and SMS log, I have used SMS Backup + before and it worked well for me. Although I have restored SMS from it back to phone but I have never restored call logs, never had the necessity. It backs up directly on your selected email account, so I have the logs+texts permanently saved anyway.
    And there also should be few other apps in the market for sms/call log backup/restore.

Adding a tethering plan does not kill your grandfathered unlimited data plan, but thats an extra $30.00 on your monthly bill.
    As for deals, there's a 50% sale going on on extended batteries, grab one while you can, if you are interested

Cheers
    1nF3rn0
    ~পরিব্রাজক~

He who desires but acts not, breeds pestilence.- W. Blake

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Thanks, I'll check out SMS backup +. I plan on getting an extended battery, and I'm glad to hear the 50% sale is still on. Does the standard battery that comes with the GN fit if I leave the extended battery's back on the GN? (I don't mind carrying a second battery, but I don't want to carry two backs unless I really have to. It would be nice if the standard battery didn't move around when the extended battery back was attached).

Billy

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    60 times
    No problem. Honestly I did not get myself an extended battery 'yet'. I got chargers everywhere, room, office, car, so it does not really bug me. But here is detailed discussion on extended battery- Is the extended battery worth it????
    ~পরিব্রাজক~

He who desires but acts not, breeds pestilence.- W. Blake

RW1
    Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    One, the ext batt is not in stock I believe.

Two, if like 1nF and myself, you have chargers everywhere, you shoudn't have a need IMHO.

I'd think about getting one, but for those two reasons I haven't yet really followed through with getting one.

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    1nF3rn0: I didn't really want to use EMail as my transfer host, so I downloaded MyBackup Pro which will save/restore from the SD card in my OG. The market link also indicates the latest version will work with ICS, which is encouraging since the GN I hope to pick up tonight will be running ICS . I did have some trouble making backups with MyBackup Pro (FC's some of the time when performing some of the backup functions), but everything is finally backed up; hopefully the restore will be problem free when I get to it... I really only need it for the call log and the SMS/MMS messages I want to carry over to the new phone. My applications and data are already "covered".

I've read the "Is the extended battery worth it????" thread, but I don't recall anyone mentioning if the standard battery will fit without moving around when one has the extended battery's back in use; I'll check the thread out again in case I missed something. Thanks for the pointer.

RW1: If the external battery is in stock in my local (NYC) Verizon store, I'll probably pick one up (for half price!), but if it's not, no great loss. I have plenty of suitable chargers, and I carry a 6000MaH battery in my briefcase that can charge anything with a USB charging connector, at up to 2A. I want an extra internal battery for those times when I am not carrying anything but my GN. A single small extra internal battery is easy enough to keep in my pocket, whereas the external battery pack or AC charger is too large.

Billy
    Last edited by tvBilly; 01-02-2012 at 02:36 PM.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1736 times
    How can the standard battery move around when it still has to fit snugly in the battery slot?

Tap'd from my GNex

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Since I don't have my GN yet, I don't know what the battery slot is like. I just figured that since the extended battery was thicker than the standard battery, and that since a different back cover was required (and supplied) with the extended battery, that there would be a gap between the extended cover and the standard battery. I didn't think the width or the height of the extended battery would be different from the standard battery, just the thickness, and maybe there is enough of a gap that the battery could move around in that direction, which might make for an intermittent electrical connection. Since this is all guesswork on my part, I thought I'd ask someone who already had an extended battery (and it's specific battery cover) if the standard battery fits and works OK when one is using the extended battery cover.

Billy

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Regarding your SMS and call logs, if you haven't sorted them already and you have a rooted phone, you can just copy the databases with Root Explorer to the sdcard and from there wherever you want to store them until you can copy them to the new phone.
    The files are in
    /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/
    1nF3rn0 likes this.

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Great tip GR4CE, thanks! I just backed up the whole com.android.providers.telephony folder to my SD card.
    GR4CE likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads