Register

[EASY][GUIDE] The SuperUser's Guide to the Galaxy Nexus

This is a discussion on [EASY][GUIDE] The SuperUser's Guide to the Galaxy Nexus within the Galaxy Nexus FAQ & Guides forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Support Forum category; Originally Posted by dakota0206 ADDED: How To Extend Your Data Plan Get up to 5x more out of your data plan The SuperUser's Guide: How ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: [EASY][GUIDE] The SuperUser's Guide to the Galaxy Nexus

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dakota0206 View Post
    ADDED: How To Extend Your Data Plan

Get up to 5x more out of your data plan

The SuperUser's Guide: How To Extend Your Data Plan
    I have been testing this for about a week now, and it works. Anyone with a capped data plan should definitely look into it.

It has basically turned my 4GB plan into a 20GB plan for free!

Be sure to post your results here, I would like to know how it works for everyone else.
    -dakota0206
    C
    heck out the SuperUser's Guide: Galaxy Nexus, HTC One X
    A comprehensive guide to all things root!

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Updated Wugfresh Toolkit Instructions

Wugfresh has released version 1.4 of the Galaxy Nexus Root Toolkit!!!!

The SuperUser's Guide - Wugfresh Toolkit v1.4

This works for all versions of the Galaxy Nexus, now including Sprint!
    -dakota0206
    C

Milky Way
    Member #
    Hello Everyone. I'm new to the forum, and I apologize in advance if this is the wrong thread for my questions.

I just purchased a Galaxy Nexus last week. It's fully stock, running 4.0.4 at the moment. I've been an android users for 3 years. The closest I've come to flashing a ROM, is taking a used Droid 2 back to stock using Clockwork mod, which was successful.

I've read through the instructions on this post a couple of times. I'm slowly digesting all of this and the different procedures to successfully complete the flashing to a Custom ROM for the Nexus

However, I do have some questions that may appear obvious to you guys and girls, but aren't as obvious to me.

1. When using Titanium Backup, can I restore Data and Apps and screens to different ROMS? I always thought I would have to reinstall and set everything up again.
    2. What is the difference between Clockwork Mod and Rom Manager and ADB, and the backup functionality. It seems like I should do all the different types of backups before flashing?
    3. If I am flashing a different kernel to a ROM, do I need to flash the kernel first or the ROM first, does it matter?
    4. Once I install Clockwork Mod, can I uninstall it and go back to stock bootloader and stock ROM?

I have successfully installed the WUG toolkit, and ran the backup without APP and Data.

I just want to make sure that I'm crossing my T's and dotting my I's, before I start messing with this wonderful device.

Thanks.
    Last edited by imagesandwords; 06-07-2012 at 10:36 AM.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Welcome to the forum imagesandwords! I'll try to answer those for you...

1. Titanium backup can restore apps + data when you flash a ROM, and that's what most use it for. If you are using a custom launcher such as Nova or Apex, you can also backup the data for it and restore your homescreens on a new ROM. When restoring on a ROM using Titanium, make sure to choose the option to "restore MISSING apps with data", as other options may restore system data and cause issues.

2. Clockworkmod is the name of the custom recovery used to flash ROMs, backup, etc. ROM Manager is an app that can flash clockworkmod amongst other things, but you really don't want to use it for installing ROMs, etc., as it can cause issues...the only reason I would recommend using ROM Manager is if you need to reflash Clockworkmod recovery. ROMs should be installed manually using clockworkmod instead for the best results.

Regarding backups, you would use the adb method (or Wug's toolkit) BEFORE rooting your device. The purpose of doing this is that unlocking wipes all data on your device, so it will allow you to restore your data after rooting. After rooting and restoring your data, the first thing I would do is to make a backup of your stock system with clockworkmod (CWM). The CWM backup is like a system restore point, allowing you to restore your device to exactly how it was prior to making the backup. Before flashing anything, always make sure you have a CWM backup you can restore, in case anything goes wrong or you just want to revert back.

3. You'd always flash the ROM first, otherwise the kernel will be overwritten by the kernel included with the ROM.

4. You can't just uninstall clockworkmod, like an app for instance, but you can always flash stock recovery to overwrite it, or any of the methods to restore to stock will replace CWM with stock recovery and flash the stock ROM, bootloader, etc. Since you are using Wug's toolkit, it has an option to restore to stock that would do that.

Hope that helps, and let us know if you have further questions

Milky Way
    Member #
    This is a great .. things are much clearer now. I'm sure I'll have some questions as I proceed.

Thank you.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    You might wanna try mskip Gnex toolkit ..I used that one and its so easy and user friendly. You can backup sd...apps...nandroid..flash..root..unlock..go back to stock...

Let me know how ot went if you use that tool

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    Galaxy Nexus
    GSM Videotron
    SlimBean 4.2.2 build 2
    Kernel Franco 366

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Added an Everything Jelly Bean Guide for the Galaxy Nexus!
    Everything Jelly Bean for the Samsung Galaxy Nexus - The SuperUser's Guide
    WugFresh likes this.
    -dakota0206
    C

Milky Way
    Member #
    Broken links

Milky Way
    Member #
    Um, the Super User's Guide... is it gone? Links do not work.
    To the Warriors, may Lady Luck be with you tonight. To the Peacekeepers, may you do your job well, so the Warriors don't have to.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1736 times
    Looks that way. This guide was maintained by a forum member. It appears he's no longer doing that.

<mobilized>

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Remove Ads

Ads