Register

Local Network Media Streaming

This is a discussion on Local Network Media Streaming within the Galaxy Nexus FAQ & Guides forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Support Forum category; I spent a short amount of time doing this last night, but others may have issue so I figured I would post what I did ...

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times

Local Network Media Streaming

I spent a short amount of time doing this last night, but others may have issue so I figured I would post what I did to stream media from within my house.

For starters, I did all of this with Windows 7 and Estrongs File Explorer with MX player for MKV/AVI files.

What you need to do in EStrongs is probably the first, and simplest step. Basically all you need to do is press on the LAN tab, and then press New and click Server. On the computer you would like to share on, open command prompt (tap the windows key and type command prompt then press enter or hold the windows key, press R and then type cmd and press enter.) and in command prompt type ipconfig and press enter. This will give you a list of IP addresses, in the first paragraph find the line that says IPv4 Address, that address will be the one you type into EStrongs file explorer for the New/Edit Samba Server area that says "Server" then press the checkmark for Anonymous, that will let you just join it then enter a display name to remember what PC it is.

Next step is in Windows on the computer, unfortunately you can't share hard drives properly, it will deny you permissoins, so what I did is break my main media drive into 2 folders, Movies and TV, then set the same permissions for both. So right click the folder and select "Properties" when that opens up find the Sharing tab and click Share. A window will open up, when it does, type Everyone and click "add" for that. By default the only ability that will be given to "everyone" is Read, I tend to do Read/Write because nobody will access my network but me. Follow that sharing step for each folder you wish to access.

Next off, in Windows once again. Find Network and Sharing Center (Press the windows key and start typing Network and Sharing Center, then press enter). I know it is in the control panel, but I can't find jack in that thing anymore since they gave me the lazy search function I had on Ubuntu and Fedora all the time. In the Network and Sharing center, I set my network to Private, and Home Network. After that, on the left you will see Advanced Network and Sharing center. This is going to be necessity right now because by default windows has some things you'll need to change.

When you get into Network and Sharing center, the options are as follows:
    • Network Discovery - Turn On.
    • Printer and File Sharing - Turn On.
    • Public Folder Sharing - doesn't necessarily matter, I turn it on because it just means windows public folders get shared out. I never have anything in those anyway.
    • File Sharing Connections, there is two options, one that says something about 128 Bit Encryption and another that says "Enable File Sharing for devices that use 40- or 56- bit encryption" enable this one, I don't entirely know why but when I changed it, it seemed to fix my issue last night.
    • Last but not least, turn OFF password protected sharing. This is the biggest issue using the device, especially if you don't have passwords on your machines like I do. I have nothing sensitive on my computers, and only people that use my media center is me and my girlfriend, i'm the only one that uses my desktop. If you have passwords though, then I am not sure. I will look into it at a later date.
    Final thing, and this is optional but I find it makes media streaming easier. On MX player, I found it best to change the preferences for the Decoder to S/W Decoder as Default decoder, and turn on Fast Mode. Also, Color Depth at 16 bit mode for speed on higher resolution video and don't enable Deinterlacing.

Anybody with a question, feel free to ask. I didn't cover passworded computers, if anyone has that issue, please let me know and I'll try and figure it out for you. I used to do a lot of networking for a job, and doing crap like this was normal for me. I figured there's someone out there like me that has a Galaxy Nexus and wants to watch movies on it while wandering around the house or something. My case, it's laying in bed and I don't feel like reading. Last night I watched Star Wars Episode 4 without issue. Takes a few seconds to load the movie for me though. I am far away from my router. Hope this helps someone. I will add pictures if desired later, I am at work right now and didn't have the time to take screenshots on my phone and do it on my PC.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Remove Ads

Ads