Register

Nova launcher install question

This is a discussion on Nova launcher install question within the Galaxy Nexus Apps forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Forum category; Do i install this like a ROM and wipe/factory reset or will it just install? I am newly rooted and never tried installing anything yet. ...

Milky Way
    Member #

Nova launcher install question

Do i install this like a ROM and wipe/factory reset or will it just install? I am newly rooted and never tried installing anything yet. This will be my first atempt at flashing anything. I do have rom manager and have done the clockwork backup. Plus i have Titanium backup for apps. Another question is everytime i want to install a rom or anthing in recovery, will i lose all my photos as well? I have backed them up in dropbox but do i have to install them every time? Sorry for being dumb but i really want to learn this and have some fun.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    267 times
    Here are the install option for Nova.

Install:
    System App Requires root
    This lets you have Widgets-in-drawer just like the stock launcher.
    Either manually move the APK to /system or use the NovaLauncherUpdate.zip and flash in CWM. Once installed you can update like a normal app.

Uninstall System App:
    Manually remove NovaLauncher.apk from /system or use the attached NovaUninstall.zip and flash in CWM

Standard App Root not required
    Easier to install, but no widgets-in-drawer. Just install the NovaLauncher_beta.apk like you'd install any other APK.

If choosing to install via CWM you just flash and reboot. No need to wipe anything.

Moving to apps

Welcome to the forum. We may bite but we don't have rabies
    Guidelines of Conduct for GalaxyNexusForum

Milky Way
    Member #
    I tried those instructions and when I boot into recovery I do not see the zip file anywhere. I have been using CWM and following their instructions. The only thing I don't understand is to put it in systems. I can't find that on my phone. I moved the zip from downloads to my SD. From there I open in CWM. Am I doing something wrong?

Please forgive my ignorance.

Vega
    Member #
    Liked
    67 times
    First off, do you want your widgets to show in the app drawer like they do in the stock launcher or do you want your widgets to show up when you long-press the homescreen like previous phones?

I prefer to NOT have them in the app drawer so all you have to so is install it like a regular apk file... just click it in your file manager.

If you want the widgets to show up in your app drawer then you can manually move the apk file to system/app and change the permissions of the file to match the other files. Those settings are the 3 leftmost boxes checked and the top box in the middle row. Once you do that you should reboot and everything will work fine.

or

Use the flashable NovaLauncherUpdate.zip and flash it in CWM. It may or may not need the permissions changed in order to work. If you reboot and it isn't working, go to system/app and check the permissions match the ones I stated above.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1124 times
    install just like an apk file thats how I did it

Milky Way
    Member #
    OK, got root explorer and found system apps but when I try to move theAPK, it tells me it's read only. There is another file labeled sys but it has no apps folder. Although it did let me copy to it somewhere but I can't seem to find it. I did install nova but I was kinda looking to have widgets in the drawer. Thanks for all the responses. I will understand this stuff eventually.

Vega
    Member #
    Liked
    67 times
    In Root Explorer, near the top of the screen there should be a button that says Mount r/w. Click that and it should make the directory able to be written to. Once you do that you can move the file there and change the permissions.

Milky Way
    Member #
    Thanks guys, got it. You guys rock. Now I just need to learn how to use tapatalk!

Remove Ads

Ads