Register

MHL Adapter

This is a discussion on MHL Adapter within the Galaxy Nexus Accessories forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Forum category; So i just picked one of these up cheap on Amazon. Had a few questions and this was a cheapo one so I wanted to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MHL Adapter

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

MHL Adapter

So i just picked one of these up cheap on Amazon. Had a few questions and this was a cheapo one so I wanted to check to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong before I sent it back. When I first tried it I was getting some snow/fuzz and it would cut out. After some messing around I got the picture to stay on the screen but it doesn't last and the slightest bump cuts it off so I was assume that maybe this was a "you get what you pay for" issue and was just gonna return it and get an official samsung one off ebay or something. Also another issue i noticed is when plugging in the cable the reception dropped and cut off a lot. After some research I found this is an issue with some other people, but i'm curious as to ask if anyone else who has experience with this cable has issues with the reception dropping. Anyone who uses this cable without issue can you link me to what ever cable you bought so that I may do the same. Like i said the one i have doesn't even have a brand or name on it lol so i'm thinking the fuzz issue might be a bad cable.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    There is so much voodoo around MHL adapters for the Nexus. Here's what I've learned:

- Some super cheap MHL adapters don't work well.
    - Some super cheap MHL apapters work great.,
    - Some moderate priced and high priced adapters (including OEM) don't work well.
    - Some moderate priced and high priced adapters work great.

I've yet to find consensus on which adapter is "the" one to buy. Across multiple Nexus sites, posters say "buy this one, it works" and then someone will say "not really". Or, go look at Amazon ratings. I know when a product works right often people don't come back to say so, but even that opinon doesn't always hold true - go look up ratings on the Diztronic case for instance. Very highly rated. Can't find highly rated (by a lot of customers) MHL adapters.

I bought a super cheap MHL adapter (went to nab on at the $0.61 price, but it was bumped to $3) and it *can* work well. But then, it becomes intermittent. "Intermittent" is a term that is often given to MHL adapters regardless of the price.

Buying an MHL adapter doesn't seem to be an exact science!

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    I've further add it's not worth it. I have a "good" one, but it drains power so fast it's pretty unusable.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by grapthar View Post
    I've further add it's not worth it. I have a "good" one, but it drains power so fast it's pretty unusable.

Interesting. Haven't heard that, but it's a concern for sure. Which one in particular did you buy?

One thing you could consider is the Anker Battery Bank for anything that draws lots of power. It's simply amazing IMO. And you'll find endless excellent reviews of it!!

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I use the Accell brand adapter and have had no problems. Just make sure you use one with the charger port any that should solve any battery drain problems. Like I said mine works great.

Tapped from my GNex using Talk 2

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Xombie View Post
    I use the Accell brand adapter and have had no problems. Just make sure you use one with the charger port any that should solve any battery drain problems. Like I said mine works great.

Tapped from my GNex using Talk 2
    Alas - one that has a track record of working. Thanks!

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    yes, if I'm nor mistaken, it has to have the charger connected to work right.

Tapped from my GNex using Tapa 2

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Yep - that's typical of all MHL adapters that at least occasionally work. Even my el-cheapo needs power.

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    I do have the power adapter plugged in on the side. Still, I'll drain the phone from full to empty in two hours. Mine is the official Samsung one, don't have the model number.

As I understand it, it's the MHL standard that's stupid. It limits the phone to 0.5 amps when it needs 0.7 to keep from discharging. Please tell me I'm wrong and that a cable exists out there. I'd SO love to be wrong on this one.

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    You're probably right...I've never used mine for that long so I don't know about prolonged use...I'll try it to find out and let you know... but I do know the one I have works well.

Tapped from my GNex using Tapa 2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads